Carla Harris, Managing Director and Senior Client Advisor at Morgan Stanley, spoke on a leader’s leverage, efficiency, authenticity, decisiveness & diversity, and engagement. One of my top five core values is authenticity, so I was all ears when Carla Harris took the podium at Global Leadership Summit. She had this to share about the power of authenticity:
- Authenticity is at the heart of a leader’s power.
- Most people are not comfortable in their own skin. When they do see someone who is comfortable, they gravitate toward that and trust you.
- Your authenticity is your distinctive competitive advantage.
- Spend time understanding who you are. Who are you when things get tough? Who are you when things get easy? You can’t bring your authentic self to the table if you don’t know who you are?
- Relax and meet people where they are. When you’re authentic it’s easy to do so.
- If you bring your authentic self to the table, it will inspire others to bring theirs, and you will make an authentic connection.
I agree with Carla that people are genuinely attracted to authenticity, and yet, living out authenticity can require courage. Be courageous and see the power that authenticity has to draw people toward you and your mission.
About the Author: Sandra Dillon is a professional coach with an extensive background in leadership and business coaching. She works with individuals and businesses as well as designs and facilitates workshops to empower people. She has a passion to help people be the best versions of themselves. You can learn more about Sandra or engage her as your coach by reaching out to her at email@example.com or by visiting her website at www.shinecrossings.com